Let me help you take your game design from good to Great. I specialize in improving the result of the pre-production phase of your design team, so you can start the production of your video game project with full confidence. A poor initial design can lead to a lot of wasted time during production, to poor reviews and lower sales, or even to the cancellation of the project. Getting outside advice and validation will help you avoid expensive mistakes and will increase your chances of success.
I have worked in the games industry since 2002 on 23 different games, including major franchises like The Sims, Spider-Man and Kung-Fu Panda. I have experience on wide variety of genres: action-adventure, casual games, social games, beat 'em up, indie games, platforming, sports, strategy, management games, etc. These games were released for a great breadth of platforms: 3DS, Wii, PC, mobile, and more.
I offer the following services:
- Improve marketing potential: Does your game have what it takes to stand out and be noticed by the market you deserve? Or does it lack that special something and it risks being lost among your competitors' products? I can help hone your concept and make its marketing potential stronger.
- Improve pitches to internal and external clients: I've written dozens of pitches for different studios and I know what a good pitch looks and reads like. I can spot weaknesses and help improve them.
- Anticipate design risks: Some parts of games inevitably need to be reworked during development because they didn't become as fun in reality as they seemed on paper. I can help you spot the riskiest parts of your design so you can schedule accordingly, and I can help lower that risk.
- Find design "holes": Often, the hardest thing is to see what's missing. I can help you find what parts of your design document are missing critical information and help you fill those holes.
- Anticipate features that could be bigger than expected: Sometimes an idea sounds simple on paper, but it has a lot of unseen costs because of how it ties with the rest of the game or because of hidden complexity. I can help find those hidden problems and find solutions to keep scope in check.
- Improve gameplay: I can bring new ideas that will improve your design and result in a game that's more fun, be it through new features, improvements to existing features or even suggesting removing features that are unlikely to make the game shine.
- Improve design documents readability: Not all design documents need to be thick bricks that nobody reads. I can help you structure your documents and improve the way they're written so they communicate the vision behind the game more effectively to everybody involved in the project.
- An outside look at your project: The members of your team are too close to the trees to see the forest. Design is too important to leave it without outside validation. Just like you hire QA to find and resolve issues with your project before putting it on sale, you should hire somebody like me to find and resolve issues in your design before putting it in production.
- Fix issues before it becomes too expensive to do so: Fixing a game design flaw while it's on paper is very cheap, fixing it once the feature has been produced is very expensive, fixing it once it's on the shelves and in front of reviewers is impossible. You owe it to your project to ensure the best initial game design possible.
If you have any question, or if you believe I could help you and your team achieve the success you deserve, please contact me.